Hypothyroidism is the most common endocrine disorder of dogs. Nearly 90% of cases result from autoimmune thyroiditis, the heritable autoimmune disease that progressively destroys the thyroid gland. Classical clinical signs of hypothyroidism only appear once >70% of the gland is damaged.
Hyperthyroidism is the second most common endocrine disorder of middle aged and older cats, after diabetes. These cats often have concurrent kidney disease, making it difficult to identify the hyperthyroidism without a more complete thyroid profile. Measuring T4 alone can be misleading as this hormone can be suppressed into the upper end of the normal reference range by any non-thyroidal illness.
Hemolife uses the most comprehensive, patented, and environmentally green non-RIA technology that has never been offered before in veterinary medicine. Hemolife’s technology is covered by multiple US and international patents. Additionally, this technology is supported and enhanced by breed and age-specific interpretation.
Thyroid Profile 5™ – The Most Comprehensive Canine Thyroid Test Available on the Market
The Thyroid Antibody Panel, Thyroid Profile 5, includes T4, freeT4, T3, freeT3 and TGAA. Since there is an 8% chance of having a false negative TGAA, Hemolife will perform either the T3AA or T4AA when results warrant it or in cases where T3AA or T4AA were previously done and needed for a follow-up. Each sample includes a personal interpretation from W. Jean Dodds or one of our other expert veterinarians plus consultation and follow up questions if desired.
T4:FT4 Ratio (Dogs only)
The patented T4:FT4 Ratio has been added to Hemolife’s portfolio of all “green” technology and breed- and age-specific interpretive analysis, and is available on all of Hemolife’s thyroid profile laboratory results to assist veterinarians in diagnosing thyroid conditions more accurately.
Thyroid GOLD™ Registration & Certificate
Hemolife Diagnostics Laboratory offers the Thyroid GOLD™ Registration & Certificate that can be ordered with any of the Hemolife Thyroid Profile 5 tests. The OFA Registry only measures free T4 ED, TSH and TGAA, whereas Hemolife’s Thyroid Profile 5 is more comprehensive by measuring T4, FT4, T3, FT3 and TGAA. This certificate adds an extra level of assurance to breeders that dogs do not have autoimmune thyroiditis.
Available Thyroid Tests
- Thyroid Profile 5™ PLUS (T4, free T4, T3, free T3, TgAA – PLUS CBC, Differential, Chemistries)
- Thyroid Profile 5™ (T4, free T4, T3, free T3, TgAA)
- Thyroid GOLD™ Registration & Certificate ONLY (Order with ANY Thyroid Profile 5)
- Thyroid Profile 4 PLUS (T4, Free T4, T3, Free T3 – PLUS CBC, Differential, Chemistries)
- Thyroid Profile 4 (T4, free T4, T3, free T3)
- Thyroid Profile 2
- OFA Thyroid Registry (free T4 ED, TSH, TgAA)
- OFA Thyroid (Expanded Profile: T4, T3, free T3, T4AA, T3AA and OFA (FT4ED, TSH, TgAA)
- TgAA screening test for autoimmune thyroiditis – new for blood spot test for breeders
- TSH, if desired as an Add-On – not generally recommended by Hemolife
- Thyroid Profile 4 PLUS TSH (Cats)
Depending on your policy, most pet insurance companies cover not only routine checkups, but also emergency care, prescriptions, treatment and diagnostic testing such as Hemolife’s Thyroid Profiles. Please check with your insurance provider or seek out health insurance for your companion pet.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.